- Buying land online offers convenience as well as broadens your search parameters.
- It also gives you the opportunity to cut out the middleman and potentially save yourself a huge realtor fee. Here is a great website to start your search; www.landhub.com
Some Pros and Cons
Ok, so buying land online shouldn’t be different from buying anything else online correct? Wrong! There are some fundamental differences between the two. After all, this isn’t a pair of new shoes!
- Buying land online brings about many conveniences.
- However, if you are not careful, buying land online will come with headaches as well.
We live in a digital age. No going back now. Everything we do centers around technology, the internet and efficiency.
Buying land in the old days, (ah, the good old days when you had to get up and go get it!) was time consuming, moved extremely slow and required at least one realtor. If you wanted to buy out of state then it certainly would require several realtors as your local realtor would have to reach out to other licensed realtors in the areas you were interested in purchasing land in.
- Now, one can almost always skip the realtor exclusively.
- This makes the buyer able to deal with sellers directly, thus saving time and money.
Saving time and money is a good thing, right? Most of the time I’d say yes.
- Sometimes it is worth it to spend a little more time and money to ensure that you don’t end up burned in the end.
- A definite downside to buying land online is that you have no idea with whom you’re dealing with. Sure, they can say whatever they want but that doesn’t make it true. There’s a sucker born every minute.
Ways to Protect Yourself
So when dealing with perfect strangers in purchasing land, a purchase that is a major one and possibly expensive, it is good to do your background research first.
- Start with just Facebook searching the seller and see if they have one, what their online life looks like. If they’ve shown you pictures of the land you can contact the county in which the land is located and make sure that the parameters they have on file with the county match the ones you’re being shown.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau as well and see if these people or the company they represent have ever had anything filed against them.
- Lastly, be prepared to take a road trip and see it for yourself in person. What better way to ensure what you see is what you get.
Buying land online broadens your search area. From the comfort of my own home I can peruse land for sale at my leisure.